You'll Eat 7 Pounds of Lipstick in your Lifetime
You read that right… the average woman consumes around seven pound of lipstick during her lifetime, and no we’re not lying!
Whether we realize it or not, small amounts of our lipstick end up in our mouth from talking, eating, drinking, licking our lips...even kissing. Now I’m not here to tell you to stop wearing lipstick- keep rocking that bold, red lip! However, what I want you to do is be aware of the ingredients in your lipstick. What are you really ingesting that’s amounting to seven pounds a year?
I did a little bit of research to find some of the most common ingredients used in non-organic lipsticks on the market today that are harmful to your skin and body:
- Methylparaben - banned in Europe for evidence it may be carcinogenic. Also affects the Endocrine System.
- Polyparaben - Research shows it may be an Endocrine System disruptor.
- Retinyl Palmitate - linked to some cancers and can cause reproductive issues. It’s not safe for pregnant women.
- Dyes - a lot of dyes are synthetic and are derived from aluminum or petroleum products. A lot of these dyes are not approved to be used in food, but they are still allowed to be used in cosmetics. Some dyes are animal based- for example, the shell of a beetle is used to create a bold, red pigment in some lipsticks.
- Lead - commonly found in lipstick makes it way into the formula through other materials used.Very dangerous for pregnant women and children. It has been linked to miscarriages and infertility. Even the smallest amount of lead consumption is very dangerous!
So, the next time you’re browsing the makeup aisle and are stopped by the beautiful red lipstick on the shelf in front of you, think about the long-term effects packed into that little plastic tube.
Learn about the natural & non-toxic ingredients in our Organic Lipsticks!